Random Cycling Quote

Saturday, May 23, 2009

T-Town Bonanza

The Cat 5 races on the schedule for today were:
2 KM Scratch race
3 Km Point-a-Lap race
Unknown Distance race

2 KM (6 laps) Scratch
This race went fine. I found out that I'm in too small of a gear (48x15) when I felt like I was spinning too fast, as confirmed by Kim who showed up to watch the race. Anyways, I was towards the front for most of the race, but at the end when everyone started sprinting, I just couldn't match up to them because of my small gearing. It also just wasn't a good day fitness-wise.

3 KM (9 laps) Point-a-Lap
I remember doing these in the training classes I've done the last two summers, but I think it was in a different format. For today, one point would go to the first rider to past the finish line on each lap, and the final lap would go 3-2-1 points for the top three finishers, respectfully. After our free lap and the bell went off, I gunned it with another rider, and we got a bit of a gap from the field. I was thinking about whether I should pass him on the 3rd and 4th turn to go for the single point, or let him have it and go for the second lap's point. I let him have the first lap and on the back stretch he slowed down a bit so I gunned it passed him just before the 3rd turn, and coming out of the 4th turn I thought I was by myself. Another rider somehow caught up to us whenever and he beat me to the finish line on the second lap. I was so disappointed. After another lap I took myself out of the race when I was felt like I was running on empty and felt I should reserve myself fro the last race. Kim, who is my coach, wanted to yell at me but she said it was taking every fiber in her body not to flip out. I guess I made the wrong choice........

Unknown Distance Race
I don't know how many laps we did, but it was between 10 and 15 laps I think. I stayed with the field for most of the race, and felt pretty good. However, because of my hearing-impairment I could not hear the bell ringing, thus I didn't know when we were on the last lap. Until I realized we were by everyone sprinting like crazy, it was too late for me. In the future, for these kind of races, I'm going to ask the officials to use the gun to signal the last lap, or if they could do some sort of visual method for letting me know the last lap.

So, my first track racing experience didn't go too bad. I just wish I got some more training on the track in the last month or so, but I was too focused on the collegiate cycling (which you can't blame me for).

I can't race next Saturday's races as I'm going to a referee clinic, but I definitely am planning on making June 6th. That gives me two weeks, so I hope starting Monday I can get some serious training in, probably 2 or 3 times a week. Build my leg and fitness up a bit before the next race I can make. Road bike is still at Trek which sucks... I'm actually fixing my MTB just to get out on the road again soon!

No comments: