Random Cycling Quote

Monday, May 4, 2009

Penn State Criterium Report

BEST RACE EVER!

So, the night before and the morning of the race, I kept reminding Kim and Taylor how I'm going to grab at least one preme point, to end my collegiate cycling career on a good note. I need to motivate myself like this more often! And was I MOTIVATED to NO END!

Got to the start line right in the front, so I was already in a good position. Taking off on the whistle, I couldn't clip into my pedal on the first try but got in on the second try. Went hard with a sprint and got into a good position, around top-10 into the first corner. I rode harder than I ever have, knowing I needed to end with at least one point. We went through about 3 or 4 laps, and I was getting anxious waiting for the bell to ring to announce a preme lap. Finally, I believe on the 4th or 5th lap, they rang the bell and I pushed harder. Still about top 10 (according to Kim) I got on the left side of the field since all but one turns were a right turn. I wanted to be on the outside to sling-shot past the riders when they would hit their brakes. Coming out of the chicane (spelling?) S-turn (left then immediate right turn) I sling-shot past everyone, and was in second position for the last two turns. I got passed by two more riders and when I looked back, we had a slight lead. After almost getting caught by a UNH or Penn State (blue jersey) I crossed the finish line in 4th position on that sprint lap to earn 2 points!!!!!!!!! I was so excited that I forgot I was still racing (haha) and with everyone starting to attack I dropped back a little, but still in a good position (top-15 or so).

I stayed in about the same position for a little (2 or 3 laps I think). Then it happened... I went down solo out of the right turn of the chicane, scraping up my right leg, butt and elbow. I quickly got up, went to the pit to fix my bike (dropped chain and brake needed to be realigned) and take my free lap. When the leading field (where I was) came around, I got back in. Two laps later, I crashed again and was hurting too much to get back into the race. I went to find Kim, left my bike with her and went to the ambulance to get checked out.

I'm a little disappointed, but not as much as I would be if I didn't grab those points. I wish I could have finished the race, I think I could have done very well, but like I said, I was hurting too much to ride anymore.

This was by far my best race ever. Even better than the Philly race that I actually finished every lap. Two points! Not a lot, but it's the first two points I got on my own. I'm so proud of myself.

Kim sent out an email to Taylor and me this morning and said this was the best collegiate season with DeSales University, in terms of determination and commitment. Taylor even did pretty well after upgrading to Women's B last weekend, just missing the last placing for points by one place. She looked good out there this weekend, and I have no doubt she'll be a Women's A rider next year or the following.

I've decided earlier today I'm going to write a long (but divided into several) posts about my ECCC experience the last three years. Be on the look out for that this week sometimes when I find time.

No comments: