Random Cycling Quote

Thursday, May 14, 2009

unintentional 4+ weeks break

Yesterday, I noticed my brake wasn't setting properly, kept shifting position and rubbing my wheel. After trying to fix it several times, I took it to the bike shop. Turns out there was a problem with the allen screw that holds the brake in place. because of corrosion or whatever, it bonded with the metal piece, that is welded/glued to the carbon frame. So, in order to get it loose, the bike shop guys had to drill it out. Since that did not work, they ended up having to take the whole metal piece (that is "glued" to the frame) out by tapping it, breaking it, and then drilling it out. After my buddy Chip, the mechanic who has worked on my bike earlier today, called Trek to see what to do next, turns out Trek is not authorizing them to do any more work, and required them to ship the frame only to their factory.

So, Chip has to strip the frame of any parts and components, and then ship it to Trek. Trek will then inspect it, make sure it is still good, and fix it. There is a chance it is not safe to ride it, even if they put in the new metal piece. If that's the case, I'm screwed big time. Even if they can fix it and it'll be safe to ride, I'm still going to be screwed somewhat since I'm looking at about $400 of parts, labor, and other fees (i.e. shipping).

So, now I need to figure out how to get some training in, without having to go to the track (about 30-40 minutes drive) up to 5 times a week, to further prepare myself for the track season that starts on May 23. It's just not economical for me since I'm soon to graduate (on Saturday) and I still don't have a job lined up yet.

FML!

No comments: