Random Cycling Quote

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Busy Times Now

First off, the exciting news! I will be working at the Tour of PA that is the first of its kind in the United States (or from what I've read). It is a 6-day stage race running from the 24th to the 29th. I will be taking my camera, but can't guarantee that I can take pictures if I'm working. The Tour of PA will also be on the Versus channel so if you want feel free to watch and look for me at the finish lines of each stage. Check out the Versus website for listings! I can't wait to head down to Philadelphia next Monday to start working on Tuesday. What's even better is that it goes towards Pittsburgh, eventually finishing in Pittsburgh on the last day. I can't want to see PIttsburgh, where I almost went to a school in the area (Robert Morris University).

Next... To Road Race or to Crit, that is the question. this weekend there is a Road Race on Saturday and Criterium on Sunday, both in the same area of Bloomsburg, PA. Because of gas I only want to do one or the other, if I do any, since I don't want to drive both days and don't know anyone in Bloomsburg that I could sleep at between both days. I might skip both since I need to save up some money for a concert I'm hoping to go to, and albeit both races have money rewards (I think) for Cat 5, I know my chances of winning any money is no better than 100-1.

Next... I joined a local group ride that a friend of mine has told me about. Bunch of older guys, several like to go at a slower pace while some are Tri-athletes and road racers that like to go at a faster, more serious pace. I joined the second group of guys, but we regroup often and what ends up happening is that when we regroup, us faster guys will get in the middle or behind of the slower guys for a mile or so to recover, and then we take off again. The slower guys didn't seem to mind so whatever works, right? Every Tuesdays and Thursdays, I think I'm joining them tomorrow for maybe half of the ride since I do play basketball Thursday nights. Tuesday night we left at about 5:30 and didn't get back until 8ish. I didn't get home until 8:30, I ended up doing about 42 miles total in about 2 and a half hours total (we take breaks when we regroups, one of the downsides of this group ride).

Probably the last thing for tonight, this Friday is the start of the Professional Track season at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center (formally the Lehigh Valley Velodrome) in Trexlertown, PA. My friend Kim will be racing Friday night so I'm excited to start seeing the professional race, the same night I want to be racing in 10 years or earlier. I think I would have more potential as a track racer than road.

Anyways, that's it for tonight. Tomorrow, instead of doing the Thursday night crit (expected to rain I think), I'll just stay local and do a light ride or join the group ride for 10 miles or so before turning around and heading home. Don't want to use all of my energy if I'm playing basketball later.

Next week when I'm doing the Tour of PA, I'm not sure if I'm going to have much internet time between end of day and sleep, as well as in the morning between sleeping and going to next stage race. If I can grab a few minutes during my busy week I'll make several posts next week about the stage races and my experiences. If not, expect a LOOOONG post when I get back the following weekend!

No comments: